AGENCY: Santa Barbara Metropolitan Transit District
LOCATION: Santa Barbara, CA
FILING DEADLINE: Open until Filled
SALARY RANGE: $120,000 – $140,000 Annually DOQ/DOE
Reporting to the General Manager, the Director of Human Resources and Risk is responsible for overseeing, administering, and participating in day-to-day human resources activities supporting District management and staff, including mentoring the HR team in the areas of employee development, leave management, personnel records management, personnel policies and procedures administration, recruitment and selection, classification, salary and benefits administration, reasonable accommodation, labor relations, employee relations, risk management, and the interactive process under ADA.
This position is a member of MTD’s executive management team, will participate in labor negotiations, and supervises a staff of three.
Current priorities and objective include but are not limited to the following:
- Review, assess, and update human resources policies and procedures
- Oversee and facilitate compliance projects such as the Staff Employee Handbook revision, I-9 Audit, and Diversity and Inclusion Policy
- Interpret, explain, and implement federal and state labor laws and compliance requirements
- Continue to develop effective recruitment strategies across all levels of staffing needs
- Foster positive working relationships with collective bargaining units to ensure effective and consistent communications
Key Attributes and Characteristics
- Demonstrated experience in producing independent research, compiling data and information, analyzing, organizing, and implementing initiatives, and maintaining confidentiality related to the full range of human resources programs
- Demonstrated experience in team engagement with process and customer service improvements, cross-training, training, and team performance
- Ability to foster the long-term learning or development of others by giving feedback, guidance, and support, identifying opportunities for building consensus for team options, decisions, and outcomes
- Demonstrates the continued ability to exercise sound judgment, discretion, impartiality, diplomatic demeanor, and professionalism
- Ethical, self-motivated, creative, adaptable, organizational skills, and is comfortable working in a dynamic fast-paced environment
- Flexible and able to provide clear goals and expectations, while remaining agile as requirements require
The Ideal Candidate
The idea candidate will be a dynamic, collaborative leader with high integrity and strong communication and interpersonal skills necessary to create a working environment of trust, respect, and high performance. A team-builder with an inclusive management style is necessary to establish and provide strategic human resources programs focused on process improvement and best practices for current and future challenges. The successful candidate will be an effective coach and mentor, with the ability to provide staff training and career development. This is an excellent opportunity for a customer-centric, employee-centric professional who can navigate employee relations to better meet the mission and vison of the district; and foster an atmosphere that speaks to developing relationships with management and employees.
For more details about this opportunity, please visit the job brochure at:
Resumes should reflect years and months of positions held, as well as size of staff and budgets you have managed.
For additional information, please contact:
Phone: (510) 495-0448
The Santa Barbara MTD is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Drug Free Workplace. MTD has established a policy and practice of recruiting, hiring, training, and promoting for all job classifications within MTD without regard to races, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex (including gender identity and sexual orientation), age, genetic information, disability, veteran status, or any other protected class or consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws.Apply for this job online