About the People, Inclusion & Culture (PIC) Team
At Universal Music Group (UMG), we put people are at the center of everything we do! We put our people first, we create an inclusive environment, and we have a culture that enables people to grow, develop and become their best selves! We are passionate about music, artists and songwriters, and their fans.
As a member of the People, Inclusion & Culture (PIC) team, you will be help us build on the work we’ve started to enhance our colleagues’ work experiences. Our efforts include a focus on well-being, inclusion, personal and professional development, and the overall Universal experience. We also ensure that the values of our company align with the values of our employees. Our efforts are positioned to lead internal and external social and industry-wide change.
As the Director of PIC supporting creative businesses and music labels, you will be empowered to take action to impact real and meaningful change. Not to mention, partnering with icons in the music industry.
If you are passionate about the people agenda and thrive in an environment where creativity, entrepreneurship, and innovation are front and center, we’d love to hear from you!
What it takes to SUCCEED:
- Client-centric mentality with strong organizational, project management, facilitation and communication skills.
- Demonstrated track record of successfully managing complex business relationships and professional environments.
- Proven record of innovative solutions resulting in great customer satisfaction and alignment with the company’s strategy.
- Inspirational and authentic leadership style.
How we LEAD:
UMG is currently seeking a Director on our People, Inclusion and Culture (HR) team who will provide a blend of strategic and tactical human resources support to attract, develop, engage, and retain top talent. The position serves as a strategic business partner to our labels’ executive management teams, supporting business initiatives and driving change as well as organizational design and effectiveness. The role also manages operational activities and acts as a trusted advisor, consulting on compensation, employee relations, talent acquisition, leadership and management development, and D&I initiatives in partnership with COE’s.
How you’ll CREATE:
- Provide technical HR consulting expertise and thought leadership, create synergies and leverage knowledge, people, best practices, and resources across the organization
- Build, develop and maintain strong collaborative working relationships with management and employees across multiple business units to deliver value-added HR solutions
- Proactively handle day-to-day, people support but also influence and shape the change agenda, including organizational and cultural changes
- Proactively assesses client needs for HR solutions and develop strategies to meet those needs
- Ensure alignment between individual, business unit and corporate practices and serve as a credible activist, operational executor, and business ally
- Addresses employee relations issues and other immediate issues to minimize risk; partner with the Employee Relations COE on issues and investigations
- Coach employees and managers on career development, goal setting, performance improvement, and people management
- Partner with COE teams on talent acquisition and assessment, learning and development initiatives, compensation programs and processes; operationalize programs as applicable
Bring your VIBE:
- Minimum 10 years of progressive Human Resources generalist/business partner experience
- Undergraduate degree in Human Resources, related field, or equivalent professional experience
- Music industry or other media, film, production, entertainment industry experience preferred
- Extremely positive personality, high integrity, professional demeanor, and the ability to operate as a high-level commercial partner
- Strong commercial sensibility with an acute people lens
- Proven experience in problem-solving and organizational management practices within a culturally diverse work environment
- Understanding of, and experience with, core aspects of Human Resource Management (organizational design; employee relations; compliance; investigations, compensation planning, performance management; leadership development; training)
- Must possess prior HR business partner consultative model experience and approach with demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and influence those with whom no formal relationship exists
- Highly developed interpersonal communication skills with the ability to establish credibility quickly and engage with employees effectively, persuasively, and tactfully at all levels of the organization
- Experience practicing HR in a fast-paced, unstructured, and/or creative industry (music, fashion, retail, television, advertising, hospitality, etc.) is a plus
- Requires a high degree of sound, independent judgment and capability
- Proven people leadership and teamwork skills
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, and project management skills
- Strong knowledge in employment laws; multi-state experience preferred
- Proficient in MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint). Vision and/or Org Plus experience a plus
Disclaimer: This job description only provides an overview of job responsibilities that are subject to change.
- Competitive Compensation Package including Salary, Benefits and Generous 401k Savings Plan
- Paid Time Off – Paid Holidays, “Gift Week”, Well-being Fridays
- Student Loan Repayment Assistance
- Employee Developmental Support
- Annual Gym Reimbursement Package
- Pet Insurance, plus much more!
About Universal Music Group
We are UMG, the Universal Music Group. We are the world’s leading music company. In everything we do, we are committed to artistry, innovation, and entrepreneurship. We own and operate a broad array of businesses engaged in recorded music, music publishing, merchandising, and audiovisual content in more than 60 countries. We identify and develop recording artists and songwriters, and we produce, distribute, and promote the most critically acclaimed and commercially successful music to delight and entertain fans around the world.
Universal Music Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Disclaimer: This job description only provides an overview of job responsibilities that are subject to change