Careers that Change Lives
This position will be based in Santa Rosa CA.
The Human Resources (HR) Program Director is the key business partner for the Aortic business, and functional leaders in the Structural & Aortic OU. They will partner with the VPs of the business and functions, and their respective global leadership teams, working to maximize achievement of short- and long-term business goals. This is a highly valued, high impact position.
As an integral link between executive leadership and other members of the teams, their key responsibilities will be to:
• Provide strategic direction to build upon our high performing inclusive culture in line with the Medtronic Mindset
• Design strategic initiatives to ensure organizational effectiveness globally
• Nimbly lead the organization through periods of significant change and rapid organic and inorganic growth
• Partner with the leadership team with any M&A / joint venture initiatives, to include continued integration activities
• Provide leadership for talent strategies within their areas of responsibility
• Play an important role as a participating member of the Structural Heart and Aortic (SH&A) HR Leadership Team, continuing to foster a high performing, highly collaborative and inclusive HR team atmosphere, and be personally invested in growing our HR talent.
In addition, this dynamic, high energy, results-oriented leader will create proactive plans and will partner with the COEs to ensure effective execution of programs and initiatives in talent acquisition, culture change, ID&E (inclusion, diversity & equity) performance management, talent management and development, employee relations, total rewards and recognition, training, change management, and organization effectiveness.
They will report to the VP HR for SH&A. They will also participate in select company-wide initiatives, representing both the client organizations and the broader Medtronic organization. The successful incumbent will be fully accountable for the effective implementation and continuous improvement of our Operating Model, including but not limited to Integrated OU/GM staff roles, Medtronic Mindset, and HR-related processes, practices, policies.
A Day in the Life
Change Management/Organization Leadership:
• Partners with VPs to develop and implement strategies to take the business to the next level. Working with COEs to ensure leadership for strategic workforce planning, acquisitions, organization changes and re-alignments, and future of work implementation. Design change strategies that build upon our fast paced & inclusive culture.
• Develop a strong knowledge of the business, products, markets, competitors, and serve as a key business partner, trusted advisor, and change agent.
Organization Effectiveness / Organization Development/Organization Design:
• Assist functional leaders in ensuring effective organization structure, communication, problem analysis, and resolution.
• Suggest and implement activities to build a common focus and united team approach within each group in the organization.
• Drive change management to ensure a constantly learning and growing organization.
• Partner with management to ensure effective organization structure, design, and staffing models.
• Ensure effective utilization and alignment of HR with business needs.
• Provide counsel in the design and implementation of new organization structures and processes, in line with organization capability requirements, to help increase overall organization effectiveness and customer satisfaction.
• Partner with clients to implement regular Talent Reviews, Organization Reviews, Career Development Planning, Performance Reviews, Workforce Planning, Organization Health assessments and surveys, etc.
• Partner with the COE Talent Acquisition Team to identify critical talent and build organization capabilities.
• Effectively develop strategies to recruit and fill open positions and future talent needs with superior talent, while ensuring a diversity of talent for each open position.
• Support client groups in effectively identifying and planning for future talent needs and continually upgrading the talent we bring into the organization.
• Work to build internal bench strength in client organizations so that we have ―the right talent, at the right place, at the right time.
Employee Relations & Communications:
• Partner with the COE Employee Relations hub and leadership to anticipate, identify and facilitate resolution of employee relations issues.
• Act as internal consultant, identifying and partnering with others as appropriate, in addressing issues (e.g. employee morale, interpersonal issues, turnover, work conditions, etc.).
• Counsel VP’s, directors, and managers consistent with Medtronic policies/practices, legal considerations, and company priorities—advocating both company and employee concerns.
• Possess a thorough knowledge of relevant legislative requirements and ensure Medtronic’s employment practices are compliant.
• Partner with client leaders and communications function to ensure effective internal and external communications for their organizations.
Training, Development and Performance Management/Leadership:
• Partner with the COE Training & Development Teams to lead and implement the employee and leadership development strategy within their assigned client organizations.
• Consult with VP’s, directors, and managers on training and development needs within their client groups.
• Ensure successful training delivery of the management and employee development curriculums.
• Develop strategies to identify targeted development needs within their groups and improve opportunities to deliver training.
• Ensure that client groups and HR direct reports have clear expectations and receive regular informal performance feedback along with cycle driven formal feedback.
Total Rewards Management:
• Partner with the COE to effectively implement and communicate Medtronic compensation and benefits programs to successfully attract, motivate and retain employees.
• Assist in identifying and developing innovative incentive/reward systems which address the unique needs of their client organizations.
• Ensure clear differentiation of performance in rewards and recognition.
• Participate in benchmarking and best practices research as it applies to Corporate and Medtronic business overall.
• Provide leadership and/or serve as representation on corporate and/or divisional committees or task forces.
• Manage/participate on key performance improvement projects and initiatives as required.
Bachelor’s degree and 10+ years of progressive HR experience and 7+ years of managerial experience, or advanced degree 8+ years progressive HR experience and 7+ years of managerial experience.
SPECIALIZED KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED:
- Experience with HR systems such as Workday, Taleo, etc.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and virtual collaboration tools
NICE TO HAVE:
Broad understanding of two or more HR functional specialties (e.g., compensation, benefits, organization design, talent acquisition and succession) gained through experience as a customer or user, on a task force, or in an HR career. HR accreditation (SHRM-SCP, SPHR or similar if international) preferred
In-depth knowledge of business management concepts and practical applications gained through cross-functional business experience, business administration degree at undergraduate or MBA level, and/or intensive executive management course. MBA with HR specification or HR Masters preferred.
Experienced HR Director with a successful track record in a fast paced global business. Previous HRBP roles in medical device, technology or healthcare, supporting global functions & General Managers, and developing and executing HR Strategy.
- Business transformation – strong business acumen and demonstrated experience in developing and implementing large-scale change initiatives, acquisitions, and integration
*Results orientation – has the ability to meet goals consistently and go beyond them. Demonstrates a high sense of urgency, creativity, & is comfortable leading through ambiguity & managing manage multiple projects.
- Strategic Orientation – able to think beyond own area and apply critical thinking, incorporating both analytical and conceptual abilities.
- Collaborative: Reaches across boundaries internally and externally to develop and extensive network of partnerships. Experience in a global, matrix management structure, and working with a virtual workforce. Ability to manage a complex set of stakeholders
- Influencing: Communicates with impact. Uses tailored communication and creates authentic and trusting relationships to influence clients, especially related to organizational planning & design. Confidence in own ideas as demonstrated by external conference speaking engagements, published articles, participation in panel discussions, industry association work, or teaching
- Leadership: Demonstrated ability to accomplish work through others, including leading project teams. Demonstrated experience in initiating and leading change, including modeling the importance, motivating others, managing the key drivers of change, and overcoming obstacles
- Flexible: Demonstrated career flexibility and adaptation skills (e.g., successful industry or company changes with minimal learning curve; cross-cultural experience and flexibility if dictated by scope of organization)
- Consulting: Strong coaching, consulting and facilitation skills