Human Resources Business Partner (ER)
The HR Business Partner (HRBP) will provide varied and complex human resource consultation on Human Resources (HR) and organizational issues through the implementation of strategic initiatives and processes in Employee Relations (ER). The HRBP will serve as a key contributor and liaison on ER matters including administrative investigations, corrective actions, recommendations for training, relationship/team building, HR process improvement initiatives, HR policy review and development, and administration of the performance evaluation and performance improvement processes. The incumbent will work with internal customers to develop tailored solutions and will implement key HR initiatives agency-wide to meet business needs requiring a high degree of professional, organizational, interpersonal knowledge, skill, and sensitivity. The incumbent will work independently, may train, and advise others, exercise confidentiality, discretion, and judgment within the HR department and with CalOptima stakeholders.
• Responsible for ER matters including, but not limited to, counseling and assisting department management with determining the need for and appropriate implementation of corrective actions, conducting and documenting administrative investigations/actions, triaging complaints, terminations, performance management, allegations of discrimination, harassment, retaliation, workplace violence, and other policy violations.
• Assesses and refines current HR handbook, policies, and practices to align with best practices and addresses existing laws and regulations. Implements, interprets, communicates, and maintains HR policies, procedures, and ER process improvements.
• Analyzes ER trends, proposes integrated solutions, and proactively conveys to the Director of HR.
• Drafts well written and comprehensive investigative reports that contain factual and objective support for any conclusions and provides accurate and timely briefings regarding the results of the pending and completed investigations, inquires, or other personnel matters.
• Counsels’ employees seeking ER advice and when appropriate refers to EAP (Employee Assistance Program).
• Develops and maintains partnerships with department leadership by communicating and interpreting ER policies and practices and supporting management decision-making processes in related matters.
• Manages off-boarding, including reduction in force, coordination and facilitation of exit interviews, access removal, company equipment/property retrieval, compliance termination report, termination action forms, and exit surveys.
• Creates and maintains ER data. Maintains terminated employee personnel files and ER files according to file retention policy.
• Manages unemployment (UI) claim process, responds to claims, and participates in UI hearings.
• Partners with internal and external legal on California Department of Fair Employment and Housing (DFEH), Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), U.S. Department of Labor (DOL), and related external complaints and participates in court hearings.
• Supports the administration of the performance management process; assists leaders with objective setting, coaching conversations, documentation, 90-day reviews, mid-year reviews, annual performance appraisals, performance evaluation rebuttals, and implementation of performance improvement processes.
• Assists with department re-organizations including analysis of current structure, review distribution of functions and span of control, develop a reorganization proposal, and determine resources to facilitate.
• Other projects and duties as assigned.
CalOptima is the single largest health plan in Orange County, serving 880,000 members, or one in four residents. Our motto — “Better. Together.” — is at the heart of our mission to serve members with excellence, dignity and respect. We are a public agency made up of compassionate leaders and professionals working together to strengthen our community’s health. If you’re looking for an opportunity to work for an organization dedicated to improving local health care and serving the needs of the most vulnerable, we encourage you to join CalOptima.
Department(s): Human Resources
Reports to: Director Human Resources
FLSA status: Non-Exempt
EEOC Classification: Professionals
Salary Grade: M – $40.87 – $63.99 ($85,000 – $133,100)
CalOptima is an equal employment opportunity employer and makes all employment decisions on the basis of merit. CalOptima wants to have qualified employees in every job position. CalOptima prohibits unlawful discrimination against any employee, or applicant for employment, based on race, religion/religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, mental or physical disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, sex stereotype, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transitioning status, age, sexual orientation, immigration status, military status as a disabled veteran, or veteran of the Vietnam era, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws. CalOptima also prohibits unlawful discrimination based on the perception that anyone has any of those characteristics or is associated with a person who has, or is perceived as having, any of those characteristics.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you may request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to access job openings or apply for a job on this site as a result of your disability. You can request reasonable accommodations by contacting Human Resources Disability Management at 657-900-1134.
Job Location: Orange, California
Possesses the Ability to:
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with CalOptima leadership and staff.
• Recommend employee relations practices necessary to establish a positive employer-employee relationship and promotes a high-level of employee engagement.
• Maintain and manage a high degree of confidentiality and sensitivity; handle conflict constructively and develop a consensus.
• Communicate clearly and concisely, both verbally and in writing, and can facilitate difficult conversations with empathy, objectivity, understanding and tact.
• Identify issues and problems, develop solutions, and prepare recommendations.
• Demonstrate strong organizational and time management skills.
• Facilitate presentations, though public speaking, engage audience and articulate complex ideas in an easily understood manner.
• Conduct evaluation and analysis of complex issues and develop written findings, conclusion, or recommendations.
• Write investigative reports, memorandums, written warnings, performance improvement plans, letters, instruction manuals, how-to guides, and presentations.
• Utilize and access computer and appropriate software (e.g., Microsoft Office; Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Word) and job-specific applications/systems (e.g., Dayforce) to produce correspondence, charts, spreadsheets and/or other information applicable to the position assignment.
Experience & Education:
• Bachelor’s degree in Public Administration, Business Administration, Human Resources Management, or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and/or professional experience in employee relations required.
• 6 years of progressively responsible human resources experience, of which 4 years’ experience must be in employee relations required.
• Public sector employee relations experience preferred.
• HR certification preferred, i.e., Senior Professional in Human Resources® (SPHR), Society for Human Resource Management-Senior Certified Professional (SHRM-SCP), CALPELRA’s Certified Labor Relations Academy Master (CLRM).
• Employment laws, statutes, and regulations; dispute resolution; principles of employee corrective action.
• Human Resources policies, regulations, principles, best practices specifically in employee relations.
• Methods and techniques for organizing and implementing programs or projects.
• Conducting administrative investigations into complaints of harassment, discrimination, and retaliation.
• Process improvement methodologies.Apply for this job online