$136,475.00 – $162,978.00 Annually
Downtown Oakland, CA
Regular Full Time
Human Resources & Employee Development
4/22/2022 5:00 PM Pacific
AC Transit is currently seeking experienced candidates for the position of Human Resources Manager – Learning and Development. Under general supervision of the Executive Director of Human Resources, plans, organizes, coordinates, and supervises the activities of the Learning and Development unit within the Human Resource Department. This position will provide consultation and technical direction within the Learning and Development unit.
This is a phenomenal opportunity for career growth and an opportunity to work at one of largest bus agencies in California. In addition to being a premier public transit agency, AC Transit has excellent benefits that include pension, medical, dental, vision, vacation, sick leave and 457 deferred compensation.
• Manages and organizes multiple functional areas within Human Resources including providing technical direction to technical/professional and clerical staff within assigned areas.• Consults with and advises administrators and employee representatives on personnel-related policies and procedures.• Interprets and communicates laws and regulations to ensure the agency is aware of its legal responsibilities; in conjunction with the Legal Department.• Develops and implements personnel rules and regulations, and interprets and administers human resources-related provisions of collective bargaining agreements.• Analyzes processes and procedures in assigned functional areas including conducting research and statistical analyses, and makes recommendations for improvement. Develops, implements, and administers, large and/or complex research studies or projects that may include the development and validation of selection instrumentation for a variety of classifications.• Establishes collaborative relationships with various functional and departmental areas of the District.• Trains and evaluates subordinates and prepares preliminary budget reports in assigned functional areas.• Represents Human Resources Department at a variety of meetings and advises the Human Resources Director in alternative courses of action in Human Resources issues.• Presents written and oral reports on a wide variety of human resources related issues.• May participate in labor negotiations and/or recommend preliminary proposals including cost implementation projections.• May be required to temporarily replace or act in the position of the senior District staff member to whom this position normally reports, and may be required to perform some or all of the senior staff member’s essential functions in such situations.• Performs other related duties as required.
Education/Training: Equivalent to a Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited four-year college or university in Industrial Psychology, Human Resource Management, Public Administration or directly related field. Graduate degree preferred.
Experience: Seven (7) years of increasingly responsible experience in a human resources administration that included four (4) years supervising journey-level staff performing recruitment/selection, classification/compensation, HRIS, employee relations, training and organization development, labor relations, benefits, and/or affirmative action/equal employment opportunity (AA/EEO).
* Master’s Degree in Industrial Organizational Psychology, Organizational Development, Psychology or Learning is preferred.
* Extensive experience in designing training platforms through strong leadership and excellent change management skills
* Knowledge of adult learning theories and instructional design principles.
* Knowledge of and ability to optimize utilization of Learning Management System (LMS).
Physical Requirements: Must maintain the physical condition necessary to perform tasks in an office setting operating a personal computer, keyboards, and other peripheral equipment. Must possess the mobility necessary to transport oneself to other locations within the District in order to attend meetings.
THIS POSITION IS AN UNREPRESENTED AT-WILL POSITION
The Selection Process: The Human Resources department must receive a completed online application by the filling date. If this recruitment is “Continuous,” it may be closed at any time without notice. Applications will be screened for job related qualifications, and those candidates who best meeting the qualifications listed on this Job Announcement will be invited to participate in an examination process that may include written, oral and/or performance segments. Current District employees must have satisfactory attendance and performance records. Finalists will be placed on an Eligibility List. When filling vacancies, the Human Resources Department will refer the top candidates to the hiring department for final screening and recommendation.
Vaccination Requirement for Candidates Seeking Employment: Alameda-Contra Costa Transit District has implemented a requirement that requires all candidates for District employment to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19, including variants, prior to being employed by the District, subject to limited exceptions. AC Transit adopted this vaccination policy as an emergency public health response to mitigate the negative public health consequences associated with increased incidence and test positivity rates and the prevalence of new virus variants, including increased hospitalizations, intensive care unit admissions, and deaths.
As such, candidates seeking District employment will be required to: (1) be fully vaccinated (two weeks after completion of the entire recommended COVID-19 vaccination series) and (2) submit a copy of their COVID-19 vaccination card prior to their start date, unless a reasonable accommodation request for a medical or religious exemption has been approved.
Benefits: The transit professionals who call AC Transit home represent the rich cultural diversity of the Bay Area. For more than 60 years, we have been an equal opportunity employer honoring religion, ethnic background, national origin, gender, gender expression, genetic information, disabilities, age, and veteran status. We are not only an inclusive employer but also offer a comprehensive benefits package rooted in choice, flexibility, and affordability. Most Benefits are effective the first of the month following your hire date. Employees and eligible dependents have access to the following benefits*:
• Medical – Choice of two Health Maintenance Organizations (HMOs): Kaiser Permanente and Health Net. $10.00 office visit co-pays; $5.00 – $35.00 prescription co-pays.
• Dental – MetLife Preferred Provider Organization (PPO) $50 annual deductible per person/$150 per family; $3,000 per person annual maximum; preventative care covered at 100%; basic and major care covered at 90%; $4,000 lifetime maximum orthodontia covered at 50%.
• Vision – Vision Service Plan – $10.00 copay; eligible for an exam, lenses, frames or contact lenses every 12 months – based on the last date of service. $200 frame allowance or $120 allowance for contact lenses.
• Employer paid Basic Life Insurance
• Employee paid Voluntary Term Life Insurance
• Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
• Retirement – employees automatically participate in a lifetime defined benefit plan and have the option to contribute to a 457 deferred compensation plan via payroll deductions. All employees hired on or after January 1, 2016 may be in the District’s Tier II pension plan covered by the Public Employees’ Pension Reform Act of 2013 (PEPRA). As such, employee may be required to contribute a small portion of annual income towards the cost of the pension.
• Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA) for Health Care, Dependent Care, Parking, Transit
AC Transit contributes up to $50.00/month towards an employee’s FSA Transit costs
• Free AC Transit Bus Pass
• Federal Credit Union
• Vacation and Sick Leave or Personal Time Off
• Nine (9) paid holidays; 2 paid floating holidays; 1 paid birthday holiday
• Tuition Reimbursement – up to $2500 per fiscal year on approved courses
• Wellness Program
*AC Transit benefits are negotiated and subject to change based on collective bargaining agreements.
Pension: All AC Transit employees participate in a lifetime defined benefit pension. All employees hired on or after January 1, 2016, may be in the District’s Tier II pension plan covered by the Public Employees’ Pension Reform Act of 2013 (PEPRA). As such, he/she may be required to contribute a small portion of annual income towards the cost of his/hers District pension.
ADA Compliant and Drug Free Workplace: The Human Resources Department will make reasonable efforts in the recruitment/examination process to accommodate applicants with disabilities. If you have a need for an accommodation, please call Human Resources at (510) 891-4783.
The Alameda Contra Costa Transit District has established the goal of a 100 percent drug and alcohol-free workplace. Applicants will be required to undergo drug and alcohol testing prior to employment and those in safety sensitive positions will be subject to further drug and alcohol testing through their period of employment, including random drug and alcohol testing.
In accordance with federal requirements, all job applicants selected for appointments in a safety sensitive position are subject to pre-employment drug and alcohol testing. A final job applicant will be tested for five prohibited drugs: Cocaine, PCP, Amphetamines, Marijuana and Opiates. During employment, employees holding safety sensitive positions are subject to random, reasonable suspicion, post-accident, return-to-duty, and follow-up drug and alcohol testing. Additionally, in the event of an absence of more than 90 days from a safety sensitive position, pre-employment drug testing will be performed.
1600 Franklin Street
Oakland, California, 94612