Under the general direction of the Director of Human Resources, the Manager of Human Resources is responsible for overseeing the VOH recruitment process, internship program, compensation administration and a portion of the agency’s employee relations management. The Manager of Human Resources is responsible for overseeing business continuity between the Human Resources department and internal business partners, ensuring consistency in processes and procedures; serving as a point of contact for internal partners for the resolution of ongoing operational and personnel issues. The Manager of Human Resources will also collaborate with the Director of Human Resources and the Chief HR/Diversity Officer to ensure compliance with the agency’s Affirmative Action Plan according to federal regulations, as well as assist with the agency’s Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging (DEI&B) programs. The Manager of Human Resources will carry out all job responsibilities with fidelity and accountability to the Mission, Vision, and Values of the Agency and Commitments to Sanctuary.
• Creates and manages the agency’s recruitment strategy; sets clear goals and benchmarks for recruitment team
• Manages recruitment staff as they implement strategic hiring procedures and carry out recruitment measures
• Oversees interviewing and hiring of upper management and executive-level staff
• Provides oversight of VOH’s internship program; assists in building college partnerships
• In collaboration with the Director of HR, will administer the agency’s compensation philosophy; researches compensation standards set by industry and governing bodies in order to create salary structures and fairly manage compensation
• Provides support to HR leadership with regard to the performance appraisal process, tool development/maintenance, and administration
• Partners with agency leaders in order to resolve complex employee relations issues; provides guidance for departmental structure changes/enhancements
• Provides one-on-one coaching or group mediation to resolve staff conflict; partner with Director of Organizational Excellence to facilitate Red Flag review meetings
• Develops and maintains various external partnerships (recruitment agencies, HR vendors, colleges/universities, etc.)
• Conducts performance reviews for direct reports
• Leads and assists Director of Human Resources with various departmental projects (i.e. policy development, job description creation and updates, etc.)
• Adheres to fair employment laws and practices
• In conjunction with the Chief HR/Diversity Officer and the Director of HR, develops and maintains compliance with the agency’s Affirmative Action plan in accordance with federal standards
• Facilitates leadership training on employment laws, fair/legal hiring practices, progressive discipline, and other Human Resources related policies, procedures and/or practices
• Represents HR at various quarterly agency Performance Quality Improvement meetings
• Serves as a member of the Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Core and Facilitation Teams; ensures that HR policies and practices properly align with the agency’s Diversity, Equity, Inclusion values and initiatives
• Exercises full compliance with the agency’s Code of Conduct, as well as all policies and procedures
• Maintains confidentiality and security for all client and staff related materials and/or records
• Performs all other duties as assigned
• Bachelor’s degree in Organizational Development, Human Resources, Business Administration or related degree required, or equivalent combination of education and experience
• Master’s degree is a plus
• Knowledge of HR practices and Fair Employment Law
• 3-5 years of prior managerial and leadership experience, preferably in non-profit environment
• 3+ years employee relations experience, involving the completion of employee investigations, developing and implementing recruitment processes and procedures, as well as delivering employee training programs
• Experience facilitating Diversity, Equity and Inclusion training is a plus
• Valid NYS driver’s license and has use of an automobile
• Exemplary verbal and written communication skills
• Ability to multi-task and consistently meet deadlines
• Strong collaboration, negotiation and conflict resolution skills
• Ability to handle confidential and sensitive information
• Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel and HRIS
Sedentary work that involves walking or standing some of the time and routine keyboard operations. Requires sustained, intense concentration for accurate results or continuous exposure to unusual pressure; normal visual acuity, and field of vision, hearing and speaking required.
Travel: Occasional travel between various worksites may be required
• Character and Courage (Integrity and Trust)-
o Do the right thing, because it is the right thing, even when no one is looking. Truth to Power.
• Customer Focus
o Build positive relationships through communication and collaborative problem solving.
• Commitment to Diversity, Inclusion, Justice and Equity
o Believe in the dignity and humanity of all people to reach their full potential.
• Process Management
o Develop and monitor processes and organize resources to achieve desired results.
• Develop Self and Others
o Continually develop self and others capabilities to attain the highest level of performance possible.
• Managerial Courage
o Make difficult decisions, own those decisions, and have difficult conversations, all in the best interest of the agency.
Leading the Organization
• Strategic Agility
o Anticipate future market trends and create breakthrough strategies and plans
• Drive for Results
o Push self and others for results