ABOUT THE POSITION: The Payroll Manager holds overall responsibility for the timely and accurate payroll of over 400 employees. Position provides guidance, supervision, training, and support to the Payroll Specialist in overseeing day-to-day payroll activities, and provides subject matter expertise for escalated payroll requests and/or problem-solving assistance. Role includes ensuring accurate and timely processing of payroll in compliance with CCSI policies and federal, state, and local wage/hour and tax regulations.
• Manages payroll workflows, timelines and deadlines, and implements streamlined process improvements (e.g. implementing manager and employee self-service structures).
• Reviews and approves pre-payroll register and audits changes for final payroll processing.
• Verify that all month-end, quarter-end, and year-end payroll reports, processed by Paylocity are accurate.
• Oversees the functionality of the payroll module in Paylocity and ensures collaboration with HR, Benefits, Accounting, and Technology teams to improve workflows across the HRMS platform, streamline processes, and support the implementation of automation.
• Maintains a complete understanding of all federal/state wage and hour laws related to payroll including wage deductions, garnishments/levies, benefits, leaves of absence, 403(b) retirement plan, new payroll credits and reporting related to COVID-19, and taxes.
• Complies with federal, state, and local legal requirements by studying existing and new legislation, ensuring adherence to requirements and advising leadership on needed actions.
• Support and manage various audits (Year-End, Workers Compensation, 403(b), etc.)
• Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational seminars, reviewing professional publications, and establishing professional networks.
• Supports the professional development of the Payroll Specialist through training and certification efforts.
• Establishes, documents, updates, and communciates payroll procedures. Ensures knowledge based employee and supervisor documents are up to date and provides trainings and inservices on time/expense policies and procedures.
• Prepares reports by compiling summaries of earnings, taxes, deductions, leave, disability, and nontaxable wages.
• Collaborates with Accounting and HR teams to reconcile payroll and general ledger accounts.
• Determines payroll liabilities by reviewing and auditing the calculation of employee federal and state income and social security taxes, and employer’s social security, unemployment, and workers compensation payments.
• Communicates with both internal & external customers in a professional manner and has the highest standard of customer service.
• Maintains employee confidence and protects payroll operations by keeping information confidential.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES: To be successful in this position, you will need competence in:
• Communicating effectively.
• Building collaborative relationships.
• Valuing diversity and fostering an inclusive environment.
• Striving for self-development and taking initiative to be resourceful.
• Problem-solving both independently and with others.
• Managing people and processes.
• Data entry management skills.
• Developing and presenting reports and analysis.
• Strong knowledge of compensation system design and wage structure, benefits administration, Worker Compensation, and employment law.
• Ability to develop policy, standards and procedures
• Financial and accounting skills
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
• Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting, Business, or HR Management, or equivalent education and work experience (see CCSI’s equivalency chart)
• 5 years of supervision/management experience and 5 years of payroll administration experience of over 250 employees is required.
• Extremely detail orientated with significant knowledge of payroll administration, including federal, state and local regulations; CPP or CPM designation highly desired.
• Experience managing and/or processing payroll for multiple entities and/or multiple states preferred.
• Knowledge and experience using integrated Payroll/HRMS platforms; experience with Paylocity preferred.
• Ability to satisfactorily complete required background screenings: DMV driving record and Medicaid Exclusion Check
• Excellent planning and organizational skills
• High level of interpersonal skills with the ability to build relationships
• Excellent customer service skills with the ability to assess needs, resolve problems, and manage expectations.
• Ability to work as a part of a team.
• Respect the confidential nature of all CCSI and CCSI customer information you are exposed to in the course of your work performance. Staff working directly with protected health information /electronically stored protected health information, personally identifiable information, and other patient/consumer/customer data, will abide by the specific procedures and policies outlined by CCSI’s Code of Conduct and CCSI’s Privacy and Security Policies, New York State regulations and Federal regulations.