Reporting to the Chief Human Resources Officer, the Vice President, Workforce Strategy is responsible for the design, development and implementation of Dartmouth-Hitchcock Health’s system-wide workforce development and talent acquisition strategy. This position develops and deploys defined, comprehensive and sustainable talent acquisition strategy(s) that support the creation of long-term, sustainable system talent management systems, and strategic workforce planning to support D-HH culture and growth objectives. The Vice President, Workforce Strategy employs an entrepreneurial spirit through innovative development of system wide emerging workforce requirements such as training programs and strategic partnerships.
Essential Responsibilities Include:
- Develops an acquisition and assessment strategy for system-wide talent needs. Align future capability requirements with workforce planning and business needs as well as state and federal requirements. Responsible for developing strong, diverse pipelines of talent for the Dartmouth-Hitchcock Health system.
- Leads the strategic design and delivery of programs that build workforce pipelines internally (employee opportunity) and externally (community growth and development as well as university, college, HS, career and tech center relations.)
- Positions D-HH as a regional leader in the development of programs that remove barriers to work and position D-H as an employer of choice.
- Positions D-H as a leader in national and peer institution dialogue around workforce development.
- Identifies and engages legislative and peer institution support for pro-workforce programs and services (availability of workforce housing, access to transportation.)
- Collaborates with other D-HH programs to identify synergistic partnerships for pipeline development (community health, population health, philanthropy, volunteer services, patient experience.)
- Embraces and designs system-wide, multi-state solutions that can meet needs of all system members (and NEAH member needs.)
- Measures program effectiveness and drives success metrics around participation, certification and retention for all pipeline programs. Uses data and analytics to make decisions, ensuring competitive posture of programs and policies, as well as consistency across the system.
- Raises awareness around new employment populations and build diversity and inclusion strategy (youth engagement, veterans, new Americans, under and unemployed, individuals with disabilities or those in recovery.)
- Develops and delivers workforce development programs and training. Leads instructors, designers, and partners in the implementation of programs.
- Defines priorities and develops the strategy roadmap and provides leadership, direction, requirements and governance oversight to the execution of workforce related initiatives, programs and processes.
- Serves as senior advisor to HR leadership and other key internal stakeholders to inform strategies, consider and integrate feedback, and build action plans; collaborates with legal and other stakeholders as needed for guidance to ensure compliance with local laws, regulations and contractual obligations.
- Works with peers to ensure consistency and early identification of key issues and ensure coordination of strategies, plans, and tactics that impact talent.
- Develops and maintains recruitment policies ensuring continuous improvement aligned with ensuring they are reviewed and amended as needed, based on external changes (legislation, laws) and/or internal changes to processes and practices.
- Establishes partnerships with outside organizations, committees, boards and community programs that address workforce issues on local, state and national levels.
- Partners with Communications and Marketing for integration with D-HH brand and employment branding strategy and all marketing materials.
- Develops and executes annual budgets to support all grant-funded and partnership activities. Seeks creative ways to provide necessary resources and infrastructure.
- Oversees the selection and management of recruitment resources and vendors, advertising agencies, ATS vendor (applicant tracking system), CBC vendor (criminal background check), travel agency, immigration attorney, executive search firms, and employment agencies.
- Negotiates staffing agency contracts and placement of agency staff with operations managers.
- Oversees coordination of rental housing. Works with local agents to provide rental housing for short-term and annual leases.
- Responsible for all people management of the Talent Acquisition department, setting goals and providing development, coaching, feedback, and where appropriate discipline.
- Develops EEO and affirmative action practices and procedures. Reviews employment practices concerning affirmative action and EEO, making appropriate corrective suggestions to leadership. Meets with department directors to develop yearly staffing needs, ensuring incorporation of any affirmative action goals. Monitors recruitment and hiring efforts to meet all legal and EEO/affirmative action guidelines. Keeps staff abreast of any policy or regulatory changes. Creates and updates all EEO and Affirmative Action plans and reports.
Minimum Qualifications Include:
- Master’s degree in Human Resources, Business Administration or Healthcare Administration with 10 years of direct experience and 7 years leadership experience.
- Knowledge and understanding of business, industry, academic, and government practices related to workforce development required.
- Strong organizational competencies including consensus building, staff supervision/management, program planning and administration, fiscal management, grant management, and effective collaboration with internal and external stakeholders required.
- Ability to work with highly diverse and multicultural populations.
- Proven ability to think strategically and to translate strategic directives into tactical initiatives.
- Proven experience developing authentic partnerships with business leaders; ability to influence and negotiate.
- Excellent executive presentation skills, able to communicate complex ideas clearly and concisely, and able to respectfully question and/or challenge others to think through problems, improvement opportunities, solutions, and plans.
- Enthusiastic team player with a strong drive to lead a diverse environment.
- Makes evidence-based decisions; experience leading others in studies that inform talent and organizational decisions.
- Strong leadership skills; operates as a leader with understanding and appreciation for regional differences.
- Innovative thinker with ability to create integrated HR solutions to support enterprise goals.
- Established talent networks and external presence in field of practice. 25% domestic travel.
Dartmouth-Hitchcock is a major academic medical center located in the beautify Upper Valley of New Hampshire and Vermont, an area always highly ranked when it comes to measuring quality of life. In fact, the State of New Hampshire’s “Life Index”, a compilation of independent national studies on quality of life among the 50 states, rates New Hampshire as #1 and Vermont as #3. These independent evaluations confirm what the employees of Dartmouth-Hitchcock Health already know…that New Hampshire and Vermont are very special places to live, work and do business. There are many reasons why our states scored so well in these surveys, including the fact that we have some of the most advanced educational institutions, best health care, and diverse cultural and recreational offerings you will find anywhere in the country. It is this diverse quality of life that brings vibrancy to the towns and villages of the “Upper Valley”. People live here because they want to. Here are just a few other reasons why people love this area of New England.
- New Hampshire has no personal income or sales tax.
- New Hampshire has 33 and Vermont has 19 alpine and cross-country ski resorts.
- In the most recent rankings from U.S. News and World Report for quality education by state, New Hampshire ranked 5th and Vermont ranked 8th nationwide.
Please apply here:
Please address all cover letters and correspondence to:
Mark L. Semiao, MBA
Executive Recruiter, Talent Acquisition
Dartmouth-Hitchcock Health values diversity and is committed to equal opportunity for all persons regardless of age, color, disability, ethnicity, marital status, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other status protected by law.